Monday 30 October 2023

Book Review: "Laughter is the Best Medicine: Confessions of a Young Surgeon" by Peter Sykes

Kindle Unlimited:
Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5 stars

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know the first paragraph off by heart because I always start my reviews in the same way:  every book starts off with the wardful of 5 stars and I'm always hopeful that they will all still be stuck firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about removing stars but that I always give my reasons for doing so.  The usual culprit of an otherwise 5 star book heartbreakingly becoming a 4 star book is the use of copyright and/or trademark brands without permission.  There has been one book in all the ones that I've read that has had a magic little sentence right at the back, on the last page after the story had finished that the fifth star was instantly returned and I let out a huuuge sigh of relief.  It's only happened once but I'm always hopeful that it'll happen again.

Let's get reading and reviewing shall we?

That first chapter was soooo intense!  It took about half an hour to read and my coffee is stone cold, but it was soo worth it.  Gonna stop reading there until after I've had my lunch, but I can already tell that I'm gonna really enjoy this book and definitely set to be a five-starer IMNSHO!

The second chapter was a rapid read that had me tutting and shaking my head.... it even brought a smile to my face which is pretty much unheard of!

The third chapter too... I knew what B.I.D was and shuddered when he opened the back door of the 'van'

Chapter 4 was also a rapid read... but I suggest that you don't read it around the time you eat lol

You'll never guess how I feel about chapter 5! lol

Thankfully chapter 6 wasn't anywhere near as gross as I'd been dreading.

I've usually stopped commenting on every chapter by now, so I'll continue until bedtime then only do bigger comments next time I pick up the book.

Chapter 7 was surprising but understandable after what she was going through.

It's a new day and a new chapter... I can't wait to get stuck in!

I'm not gonna comment on every chapter, but chapter 8 got me understanding why some doctors asked certain questions at the start of my illness/disability!

Up to chapter 21 now and the chapters have been waaay too long and dull so I've skipped my way through about 150 pages in the hope that it's just a rough few chapters but each time I've stopped it's still been long and dull, so unfortunately the first star is coming off  :-(

No spoilers, but chapter 29 should have been more carefully thought about and, IMHO, not been included at all... it could easily have triggered a reader who had been through it and given the not-so-innocent reader an idea of their next prank.  Highly irresponsible.

What an amazingly positive end to an at-times heartbreaking book.  If you can forgive the dull middle then it's definitely worth a read for nosey-parkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment