Friday 25 May 2018

Shocking difference between 2 children's brains

This is stolen, unashamedly, from the course I'm doing on Alison in Module 2 and I just found it really interesting how different the two images are of an "average" 3 year old on the 50th percentile and a sensory-deprived 3 year old.





These images illustrate the negative impact of neglect on the developing brain. The CT scan on the left is from a healthy three-year-old child with an average head size (50th percentile). The image on the right is from a three-year-old child following severe sensory-deprivation neglect in early childhood. 
This child's brain is significantly smaller than average and has abnormal development of the cortex (cortical atrophy) and other abnormalities suggesting under-development and mal-development of the brain.

It's like with the child psychology course I did on OpenLearn - I did it to prove to myself how thick I was and how much my bullies had been spot on, but not only did I understand it, I enjoyed it and I want to study more child psychology if I'm awarded ESA in November!  It was the "you really can do things as long as you find them interesting!" and a big "screw you" to bullies everywhere!

I'm never going to be a mathmatician or scientist, but as long as the OpenLearn courses were a genuine taster of the difficulty of the 3 levels of Undergraduate study, then I really can get a degree as long as it's not in maths or science lol

No comments:

Post a Comment