Saturday 27 July 2019

Book Review: Prognosis: A memoir of my brain by Sarah Vallance


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

Wow.

What a great book!

It's made me feel understood and less alone with my own brain damage now, to such an extent that I've written a letter to my GP about it, asking for more information about which parts of my brain are damaged, what I can do to hopefully improve the damage and asking for the answer to the question that I've been wanting to know for the last 16 years: is there any way I can recover, even if only slightly.

I haven't been brave enough to ask those questions since I was diagnosed with brain damage when I left hospital in 2003 even though I really want and need to know the honest answers.  This book gave me the push I needed to write the letter.

It's encouraged me to be brave enough to ask about the MRI scans I've had and the Neurologists thoughts before he discharged me. 

If you can be patient enough to get through the initial 15% of the book, you will hopefully find it as interesting and supportive as I have.

A must-read for anyone who has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury (like the author) or brain damage (like me).

The first few pages were like struggling through treacle with so much back-story, but I'm so relieved that I carried on reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment