Saturday 25 November 2023

Book Review: "Diary of a Female GP: A Week in the Life of a 'Lazy' GP in the UK" by Joni Martins

Kindle Unlimited:
Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that I start them in the same way and that is by saying that all the books I read and review start off with the full ship-load of stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be there when I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I always give my reasons for knocking off any stars, usually for copyright or trademark for reasons.  I've replaced a fallen star once thanks to a magic little sentence right at the back of the book.


Let's get this book opened and read shall we?  At 492 pages, it's gonna be a loooong read but the nosey parker in me can't wait!


I'm enjoying the book so far, but there has been a mention of a very famous book character so unfortunately the first star is looking wobbly.


Oh dear, that's two trademarks and one copyright in a chapter and a half, so the star has to come off and I'm really hoping that magic sentence is at the back of the book so that I can return the fifth star!


I'm up to chapter 4 now and I'm really enjoying it so far... definitely a 5 star book if it hadn't been for those dratted trademark and copyright mentions!


All the staff at my GP surgery are definitely getting a Christmas gift from me, based on the last two chapters!


I'm up to page 105 already and it's not even lunchtime yet... will it be a 1.5 day book instead of my usual two-dayer?  The chapters are pretty much self-contained too, so I can put it down and pick it up whenever I need or want to as well, which I much prefer.


I knew that doctors were busy, but 30 ring-backs just in one morning, as well as the sit-and-waits and the routines is just eye-watering!!


After reading that chapter alone, I know for certain that I couldn't be a doctor - they have to deal with so many heart-breaking cases already that they don't deserve the complaints on top of it all!


I've had a busy afternoon and now techy troubles as well as my Kindle only having 10% battery left, so I'm gonna stop for the night at p188 and I'll hopefully remember what I've read today if I need to, but don't think I will 'cos of the mostly self-contained chapters.


It's a new day and I'm ready to rock and read today - will today disappear like yesterday morning especially did?


Wowsers.  Such a lot happened in that chapter and I feel for the doctor, especially, even more now.


This is an incredible book for nosey-parkers like me and I'll definitely try to be a better patient from now on!


Up to p316 now and I'm loving every page... nothing that turns my stomach yet either, which is a huge relief and this sentence means that I've just jinxed it lol


Page 376 and I'm debating on whether I should read the next chapter now or after I've had my lunch, just in case it's gross lol


I was wrong and I'm glad I kept reading and it was an interesting chapter too, which is another plus point.  Up to page 396 now... do I risk another chapter before I have my lunch?


Just finished this incredible book and those uses of brand names and a fitness tracker pretty regularly is the only reason this isn't a full five stars.


If you're a nosey-parker like me then definitely get those pennies spent on this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment