Saturday 23 December 2023

Book Review: "One Born Every Minute: Real Stories from the Delivery Room" by Maria Dore and Ros Bradbury

Kindle:
Paperback:
Audio CD:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

This is a guilty pleasure of mine... I love experiencing the birth of babies to mums because it's something I'm unable to experience myself, and not for the reasons you're thinking of.


I'm not gonna rush through this book 'cos I'm hoping it'll have self-contained chapters so that I can pick it up again between carer visits again tomorrow.


Let's get going with the reading and reviewing shall we?


I've just finished reading the first chapter, which was a good way to get to know the two authors.  Gonna make a start on the second and third chapters to see if they really are self-contained like I'm really hoping or if I'll have to rely on my cruddy memory in the morning when I pick the book up again.


That's the second chapter read and it seemed pretty self-contained, so hopefully the third chapter will completely put my mind at rest and I can confidently pick it up knowing that I don't have to be word perfect on everything that has happened tomorrow.


Yep, I can sort of feel semi-confident that I'll be able to get back into this book pretty quickly in the morning 'cos the chapters are pretty much self-contained but they lead on nicely from one another, thankfully.


I'm really enjoying this book so far, but I'm wondering how soon the inevitable emotional bit will be... the authors haven't let me get too close to each of the mums and babies yet, so I haven't needed to blub yet, but how long will that last for I wonder?  lol


One more chapter before I hit the sack methinks.  The last couple of chapters have been totally worth it and I read them in under 10 minutes... I'm up to page 103 now... will I have the review finished before I have my lunch tomorrow?  It's looking likely!


You hear about things like that happening in chapter 7 but you never quite believe it... I guess it's true after all though lol


I'm proud of myself for not collapsing into a sobbing heap with that chapter, but I reckon I've got to the inevitable emotional bit, so I'm gonna stop reading until after lunch so that I don't have to answer the door in floods of tears.


Soooo glad I waited to read any farther 'cos I'm blubbing like a blubbery thing now lol


Just finished this amazing book and it's been 5 stars throughout, thankfully. Being able to experience the realities of childbirth is something I will never be able to personally experience, but it's books like this one that help me to calm the maternal cravings when they appear.  If you're interested in the birth stories and want short updates on a few of the babies you might have seen on the telly, then definitely buy this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment