Saturday 8 June 2019

Product review: Power Supply 5.5mm AC DC Power Adapter Replacement

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

The cable completely broke off on my external hard drive lead.  Totally my fault for wrapping it so tightly around the box when I wasn't using it.

I panicked.

Thankfully my hubby is a bit of a nerd and found this replacement for me.

I wasn't sure initially - what if the thin bit didn't fit in the hole?  What if the thin bit on this was too narrow or too wide?  I couldn't send it back 'cos I'm disabled and can't leave the street so it would be a waste of money.

I was wrong though. 

I should have trusted my hubby's nerdiness.

The thin bit fitted perfectly!

I plugged it in and attached the USB thingy to my laptop.

Got an error message that something wasn't recognised.

I panicked and in desperation, rebooted my laptop.  When I logged in I went to the file explorer thingy that shows all your files and it wasn't there.

More anxiety.

Closed down the explorer thingy and tried opening it up again.

Still nothing.

This new lead had better not have wiped over 1TB of back-ups from the last 4 years!

Fortunately I just needed to be patient 'cos less than a minute later it appeared in the list.

I nervously copied and pasted the backups from my One Drive account onto the external hard drive and it worked like a dream!

I agree with one of the other reviewers that the lead *could* do with being a bit longer, but it really isn't a huge deal because the thin end fitted the hole and it let me do my weekly back-up onto the external hard drive again which is all I wanted.

I will definitely buy this again if I need it and can't recommend it highly enough as long as you're prepared to be patient while it sets itself back up and don't mind rebooting and being patient with it.

Here's to hopefully many happy years of back-ups thanks to this power adapter thingy!

No comments:

Post a Comment