Thursday 25 July 2024

Book Review: "How to Do the Inner Work" by Susanne Madsen

Kindle Unlimited

Audiobook

Paperback

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know how this  first paragraph starts:  every book I read and review starts off with the full being of stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.


In comparison to fiction, my non-fiction reviews are very thin on the ground so far but this book is another one to add to the very small pile.


I've always been interested in working on improving the inner me so I hope this book will take me gently by the hand as I take the next shakey step.


Let's get going shall we?


Oooh!  The first part of the book before chapter 1 is really talking to me and understanding where I am and  what's bugging me... I'm trying to remain cautiously hopeful that this is the start of the first step to self-improvement... will it be that key that fits the lock?


I'm 12% of the way through this awesome book and I think it's time for me to pop my last pills of the day and head off to bed.


It's been a couple of days since I picked it up so let's see if it reminds me of what I've already read lol


The alternative nostril breathing was hard to get the hang of, but it's the first time I've tried it so I'm not gonna give up on it too soon!


I've literally just opened the door to talking to my emotions and they are all rushing to be first through the door.  All the emotions I've suppressed now have permission to be seen, felt, heard, seen and supported... I just wish that it was one at a time is all lol  OK, so overwhelming sadness is first through the door and it's asking to be heard, supported and loved in all it's naked glory.  It wants me to stop gulping back the tears and let them flow freely whenever and wherever I need to, so that's exactly what I'm gonna do... if you see me sat on the pavement in floods of tears, I'm connecting with my sadness and expressing it as it wants me to, like I should have done over the last four and a half decades.  Now it's telling me that it needs the comfort of chocolate so I'm gonna crack open the last milkshake and keep reading.


Aaaand it's finished and I'm bawling my eyes out, but it's what my sadness needs so that's OK.  I'm gonna put this review up online then dive deep into my supply of hot chocolate for as long as my sadness needs it or I start getting toothache from all the sugar.




No comments:

Post a Comment