Saturday 27 July 2024

Book Review: "The Midlife Edit" by Gail McNeill

Kindle     Audiobook     Hardback

⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know how I start the review, right?  I always start by saying that every book I read and review starts off with the full trolley-load of stars and that I always keep my fingers crossed that they are all still firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about knocking off stars but that I always give my reasons for doing so within the review, they don't just vanish into thin air.

At over 400 pages long, this book is one of the longest I've read in a while... will the author be able to keep me with her throughout or will she lose me to boredom early on?

Let's open the book and get reading shall we?

Geez Louise!  She's spent the first 2% of the book saying the same thing over and over again with different words, so unfortunately the first star is coming off for repeated repitition and the second star is already wobbling through boredom... will I get to 25% with more than 3 stars?  I really hope so, but based on past experiences it unfortunately unlikely.

Oh dear.  Not a good sign that I've already skipped forward through boredom... we're already down to 3 stars at 5% and my will to continue reading is sat in the corner shaking its head at me.

I've skipped ahead again, this time to chapter 4 and 28%... I've already knocked a star off for boredom so the third star is safe, but my high hopes for this book are currently being ripped to shreds unfortunately.

The author is, for the third chapter on the trot, talking about menopause... it's starting to feel like this author had great ideas spinning around in her head at a gazillion miles an hour but when you repeat yourself so often you quickly start to lose points from this reader.  If chapter 5 talks about the menopause too then that's gonna be the third star lost unfortunately.

I'm up to chapter 7 at 53% and any last remaining hope I had of a comforting/reassuring/relaxing/helpful read has well and truly set sail.  I don't think I've read more than 3 consecutive pages at a time without giving up and skipping forward.  I'm giving this book until the end of chapter 7 to significantly improve or I'm knocking another star off and giving up.

I'm finally up to chapter 8 and while it didn't talk about being menopausal, it did go on and on and on and on about eating sensibly and got some things out and out wrong, for example some of the things the author said about veganism are true for vegetarians but not for vegans (I've been vegetarian for over 3 decades and *semi* vegan since 1999 but using her definitions I've been vegan since childhood) so if she got something so well-known wrong, what else has she been spouting that's wrong too?  I'm taking off the third star and officially giving up at 63%

No comments:

Post a Comment