Saturday, 11 November 2023

Book Review: 'The Chancer' by Fiona Graham

Kindle:
Hardcover:
Paperback:
⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that the first paragraph is always started in the same way and that's by me saying that every book I read and review starts off with the full shebang of 5 stars and that I'm forever hopeful that they are still stuck solidly in place by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about removing stars if necessary but that I always give my reasons within the review.  The most common reason, by far, for dropping a star is copyright or trademark infringement but there has been one book so far with a magic little sentence right at the back which instantly replaced the star... it's only happened once so far, but maybe it'll happen again in future?


Let's get on with reading and reviewing this book, shall we?


It says in a little box thing that the reading time for this book is under 6 hours, but considering how long it is, I doubt that somehow.  Does the shortish reading time mean that it's a dull book that previous readers have skipped through most of it?  I hope not, but we shall see.


Oh deary me, on the first page there were two mentions of a famous place and on the second was a celebrity potentially without permission, so after only 1 page and 1 paragraph, the first star is already coming off.


Oh boy.  On the third page is the brand of a famous film award so the second star is coming off at only page 7... this isn't looking good - two stars already gone and we're not even into double figures page-wise yet!


Chapter 1 was OK... not the best, but not far from mediocre unfortunately.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm already bored out of my skull with this book and it's looking like I'll be doing a lot of flicking forward unfortunately.


Oh boy, I've only just started chapter 2 and I'm already skipping forward... I can see why it was such a quick read now!


Chapter 4 is no better, so that's the third star coming off already, unfortunately, which means there's just one star left before I officially give up on this book.


There's been a death in the chapters that I've skipped but I genuinely don't care about that unfortunately so the last star is coming up and I'm officially giving up on this book at only 14% of the way through... it takes a truly special (and not in a good way) book to achieve that.


No comments:

Post a Comment