Thursday 25 February 2021

Book Review: "Can I give my stepkids back?" by Aurelie Tramier


⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

It's an OK start to the book... the chapters are waay too short though.  It's not keeping my interest so far, but it's not too bad.  I really hope it improves though.

I was wrong.  It's such a dull book that I've skipped through the last 15 chapters, so I'm up to chapter 20 now and it's lost a star because of that.

Where has the time gone at the bottom of this page?!  It literally goes from Morgan going off in a strop at the end of one paragraph, to the tree being completely decorated in the next one!

I think the author/translator is confused 'cos Morgan isn't a *step* mother, she's an aunt and guardian/adoptive mother of her niece and nephew.  Morgan isn't an orphan either - her niece and nephew are, not her.

Why has the female child's name changed it's spelling all of a sudden?  It was spelt with an ie for the first two-thirds of the book, but now it's suddenly y... have I missed something??

And now, two pages later, it's back to the original spelling again!  That's something that should have been picked up during the first round of edits, waay before it was published!

What a beautiful ending!  I would happily have awarded it the full 5 stars if the backstory wasn't so dull right at the start... if it had be woven in to the rest of the story and the book had started at chapter 10 then the ending wouldn't have needed to be so rushed and the author could have gently finished the story instead of it going from the nerves of the first date to a year later, a new career, a husband and new house all within maybe 2 pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment