Wednesday 26 July 2023

Book Review: "Preserving Patients: Anecdotes of a Junior Doctor" by Tom Parsons

Kindle Unlimited:      Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

It's been a while since I last read and reviewed a book but things are settling down now and I've got a free afternoon so now seems like as good as any to pick up my next book and I'm a nosey parker so this seems like as good a place as any to re-start my reading.


I started all my other reviews by saying that each book starts off with the full 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be there when I close the back cover... this book is no different.


That first chapter was suitably gross lol


I've already forgotten what the first password was for and I only read it 10 minutes ago lol


The chapters are all self-contained, so I'll be able to dip in and out as necessary without having to remember what has happened so far... I prefer books like that.


The first star is coming off for the use of several brand names... I've got no idea what the law says about the use of TV programmes in fiction, which is why I've waited until 9% of the way through, but the first removal is coming off already unfortunately.


This is a really good book so far... not too many gross bits and each chapter is short and self-contained - exactly my kinda book.


I'm stopping at 28% with a broken heart. I'll start again tomorrow at some point.


Back now, a lot later than I planned, but that's OK 'cos the chapters are self-contained and my main disability means that I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago let alone the previous day!


Let's get going for today.


That was erm... enlightening?  I'm glad he got it out though!


Ooh!  That was an intense chapter!  Lots of blood but hopefully a life saved!


I was turfed sooo many times when I first became ill and all it would have taken was a simple blood test done every couple of weeks then treated when they saw my levels dropping instead of being shuffled from one department to the next at I dread to think what cost to the NHS and multiple, awful, agonising tests that all, unsurprisingly enough, came back clear.  I am now disabled with a very unlikely chance of ever getting better and one of the pills I was on for literally years (that had a maximum time limit of 12 weeks) has left me at risk of getting Parkinsons too.


Another particularly gross chapter, but I'm at 51% now, so I'm gonna take my evening pills and try not to throw up too violently before I go to bed tonight.


I'm at 54% now after another truly heartbreaking chapter... my pillow will be soggy with tears again tonight, for the second night on the trot.


Well that one was a rather crude introduction to the world of paediatrics in the world of the GP surgery!


That chapter raised a smile too... the poor patient must have felt sooo embarrassed to be dragged there by his wife in the first place then to be asked if it was hereditary in front of his son too must have been awful!


Yup, I've been almost exactly where that patient is and it's only thanks to an incredible consultant Neurologist that I'm still alive!


I'm at 82% now and it's bedtime for me... will I finish this book tomorrow after 6 days?


I've just finished the first chapter of the day and it sounds like that particular patient needs a consultation with a mental health bod rather than A&E - especially after what happened at the end of the chapter!


Wowsers!  What an end to a truly incredible book!  A definite must-read if you're after a great read with self-contained chapters!

No comments:

Post a Comment