Thursday 11 March 2021

Book Review: "Don't Forget to Ask" by William Barton


⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

 I don't usually read a lot of non-fiction, so I'm starting this book with a very open mind and, like all the books I read and review, it starts off with the full 5 stars... hopefully it'll end with 'em all too ;-)

Woops!  The author has forgotten to open the quotation marks early in the first chapter... that in itself isn't enough for me to knock a star off, but it's not a sure-fire thing with the 5 stars any more... I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt, but one more tiny mistake and the star comes off - it's at 4.5 stars right now.

I'm wondering if the author has permission to use all these brand names?  If he does, that's all groove and cooly, but if not, then he could be getting himself into legal hot water with international companies who can prolly afford to take more professional legal advice than he can  because he's an individually self-published author that I doubt can afford even thousands, let alone millions of dollars for legal advice.

Not only shops, but media and Hollywood stars now too, so that's almost guaranteed that the author hasn't gotten written permission, so the first star is, unfortunately, coming off.

This is a great book, other than the incredibly excessive use of full stops (aka periods for any Americans reading this) in the elipsis (there should only be three each time, but the author has used at least double that each time).  In itself this isn't enough to knock off a second star, but it's struggling to keep the four that it's got atm.

Just finished reading the book and other than those niggles that forced me to knock off the fifth star and possible legal hot water from big names that he may not be able to afford to fight, it's been a worthwhile read tonight, so thank you Mr Barton and I'll try putting your advice into action when I come downstairs tomorrow morning 'cos I'm going to head to bed after I've published this review!


No comments:

Post a Comment