Friday 23 June 2023

Book Review: "In Rude Health: The Funniest and Most Explicit Stories from the NHS" by Robbie Guillory

Kindle Unlimited:
Paperback:  
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that I start 'em all off in the same way, by saying that every book I read and review starts off with the full 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about removing stars but that I always give my reasons within the review.  The most common reason for making a thoroughly deserving 5 star book into a 4 star one is 'cos of copyright or trademark infringement.  It always breaks my heart when that happens but it's a huge annoyance of mine with things like that.  I've rapidly replaced the fifth star once so far thanks to a magic little sentence right at the back of the book.


Now that's out of the way, lets get on with reading and reviewing shall we?  My Kindle is telling me that it'll take about an hour to read so that should give me plenty of time to potentially recover before I head to bed.


The cover is making me think that this is a light-hearted book which is always a real treat but it takes something truly spectacular to even raise a smile out of me... will this book manage it?


First story leaves me wincing at the very thought and grateful that I'm not a man with a cat...


Dexam-what?  They've all been really short stories so far but this is a pill (I assume) that I've never even heard of before!


Oh yes, I'm only 17% of the way through and I'm already smiling and shaking my head which it takes an absolutely incredible book to do!


Nooo!  The fifth star is wobbly at only 17% because of that potential trademark infringement I was going on about right at the start of this review... please, no more otherwise it'll have to be another heartbreakingly 4-star book which I really don't want to happen, given how much I'm enjoying it!


The 'Frank Exchange' one was the shortest so far and got the first snort of laughter out of me at only 32% of the way through the book.


I'm at 49% now and this is an absolutely fantabulous book... definitely one of the best I've read so far this year (and I've read a *lot* of books so far) - it's funny with just the right amount of gross without making me lose my lunch - it's made me smile, chuckle, wince, tut and desperate to keep reading!


The vacuum cleaner one made me chuckle and shake my head in disbelief lol


Noooo!  Not again!  My heart is breaking 'cos the first star is coming of for the second potential trademark infringement in 60% of the book!


The 72% one is a total groaner - not gross or anything, just a "d'oheth!  Why didn't I think of that?" thing that is probably similar to what I would have done in the same situation lol


And a third potential Trademark infringement at 81% but I've already very reluctantly removed a star for that reason so we're still at a very solid 4 stars.


Yup, the book ended on a tsk and a smile lol.  Overall an awesome book and if it hadn't been for those 3 potential Trademark infringements it would have been an easy 5 star book.


If you want a quick read that'll make you shake your head in disbelief while you smile and chuckle, you really need to read this book.


My world feels a lot lighter after reading  this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment