Thursday 26 January 2023

Book Review: "In Defense of Animalhood" by Riya Aarini

Kindle:
Hardcover:
Paperback:
⭐ out of 5

If you've already read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that I start 'em all off by saying that each book starts off with the full 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be firmly in place by the time I finish reading.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about knocking off a star if I feel it's necessary, particular for copyright or trademark infringement but that I always give a reason for knocking each star off.

Let's get going:

Ooh! I love the zebra image on the first page!  It makes a refreshing change not to be met with a page full of text, so top marks so far!

There's the first star gone after the use of a brand name... I hope that I can replace it if there's that magic sentence at the end of the book saying that it's been used with permission, but of all the books I've read, that's only happened once, so I'm not holding my breath unfortunately.

Two totally unnecessary swears takes the book down to 3 stars.

I haven't got a clue what age this author is writing for... it's written as too immature for adults but the swearing and words are too advanced for children!  Each of the animals have the same voice and personality too... this really hasn't been thought out well at all, so I'm knocking off another star at 46%.  I'm mightily relieved that it's only 76 pages long but I'm wondering if the final star will stay in place for the last 54%?

Oh boy, now it's glorifying making elephants drunk so the final star is coming off and I'm officially giving up.  This book had so much potential but the author just didn't think it through enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment