Saturday 3 October 2020

Book Review: "The Boy Between" by Josiah Hartley and Amanda Prowse


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

 Wowsers.  The first 9% of the book have been amazingly powerful and I've been nodding throughout 'cos it's where I've been too many times in the past.

My initial thoughts?  A definite must-read by everyone.

My hubby made me a mug of tea just after I started reading and I've only just taken my first sip.  It's cold now.  It's not often that a book achieves that - maybe only once in the last 9 months has it happened before.  Get this book, just don't hope that you'll finish a hot drink before it gets cold  ;-)

I'm up to chapter 4 and I'm still nodding throughout as I read... so many of the things that Josh felt as a youngster are what I went through at about the same age too.  I'm heading to bed for an early night now but I'll hopefully remember to keep reading as soon as I come downstairs and have walked our dog tomorrow.

Back now and I've already read two chapters without moving lol  Up to chapter 7 and I'm still nodding throughout every page.  Josh is more intelligent than I ever have been so his struggles must have been worse due to his dyslexia too.

Oh yeah, I remember that darkness, that feeling of the only safe place being my bed, being asleep.

Chapter 9 and his mum has finally got it... she still doesn't understand the depths of suffering we go through though, seemingly.

I wish I had had a Simeon when I was thinking those exact thoughts.  I'm sat here with huge great tears streaming out of my eyes.

Just reading the last 30-odd pages now and it's a relieved as opposed to happy ending so far.  I definitely recommend this book in the highest possible way!

Wow.  What an incredible book.  A must-read for fellow suffers of depression, for friends and family of those with depression and professionals too.  This is definitely a must-read book for everyone and still well-deserves those 5 stars that it started off with yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation. I've read the sample, shed tears and ordered the paperback copy.

    ReplyDelete