Thursday 3 October 2019

Review: Barleycup instant cereal drink


⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

Just FYI I'm a new tea and coffee drinker (as in I didn't start drinking it until the end of Spring 2019), I'm allergic to dairy (so have tea and coffee black) and discovered that I prefer to actually taste what I'm drinking otherwise it just tastes like hot water which is gross.

Now that you know my taste preferences, here's my thoughts on my very first mug of an instant cereal drink.  My hubby put 4 teaspoons of it into my large mug (as in 500ml as opposed to an average-sized mug of about 350ml) and filled the mug with hot water.  I cautiously took my first sip of it and almost burnt my mouth 🤣  It certainly didn't taste of coffee - there was maybe a tiny hint of coffee flavour but that quickly disappeared and was replaced with a flavour I've never had before that I'm guessing was the barley.  Then there was an aftertaste of what I can only assume was the chicory.  Took a bit of getting used to, but by about half way down the mug I was getting used to the new flavours and really starting to enjoy it.

So why am I knocking a star off?

Purely because every mouthful goes through me faster than caffeinated coffee does, despite this being decaffeinated.  I've been for 5 wee's while I've been drinking it and even coffee only produces a single one 🤣

It's a nice strong flavour which I enjoyed after my tastebuds got used to the new experience and I will be getting it again, but I'm thinking I'll add a small squirt of runny honey to it next time, just until my tastebuds get used to it... I started off with 2 or 3 sweeteners in every mug of tea and coffee when I first started drinking it earlier in the year, but not any more... it's just strong and black now, so I'm thinking it'll be the same with this drink too.

I'm thinking of trying the dandelion one next just to see what that's like.

I'd say definitely try it, but make sure you have easy access to a toilet while you are drinking it, just in case it affects you like it did with me 🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment