Monday 13 September 2021

Book Review: "Captive: A Poetry Collection on OCD, Psychosis, and Brain Inflammation" by Madeline Dyer

Kindle edition:
Paperback version:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

Like with all books I read and review, this one is starting off with the full five stars and I'm hopeful that it'll end with 'em all in place too.

I've read literally one or two memoirs before so to say I have little experience of reading them is the understatement of the decade lol  I'm going to read with an open mind and hope that it'll give me more understanding of what the author went through when she wrote it.

Wowsers.  I already want to reach through the screen and take the author into a safe, gentle hug, if that's what she wants and needs right now.  It's like she's clambered inside my head and she's stealing my thoughts and feelings 'cos that's how I've been feeling for more than the last two decades.  I've got more control of my OCD and psychosis now, but those thoughts and feelings are still there... I know and understand what you're going through more than you may realise and I've only read 23% of the book.  If you, the reader of this review and potentially the book, have psychiatric issues, especially OCD and/or psychosis, please make sure you're safe and have support in place in case you're triggered... this is a definite must-read by everyone so far though.

I'm already half way through and it's an incredibly powerful read.  It's a must-read for all doctors, but especially GPs so that they realise that just because you are seeing, hearing and feeling these things, you're not nuts but you do need help.  I hope the author got the help she needed and is on the right treatment with the right support now.

Just finished reading the book and I can sum it all up with one word:  "wow"  I know I said it up there ^^^ (or at least I *think* I did - I certainly intended to) it's like the author has got inside my head and told me that I'm not alone with those thoughts and feelings any more.

Thank you for sharing your powerful poems, Madeline... I know that I'm not the only one who feels like that now.  Please keep on keeping on and fighting your monster... the world needs you - *I* need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment