Sunday 12 September 2021

Book Review: "The Perfect Christmas Gift" by Katie Ginger

Kindle version:
Paperback version:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that I start every one just like this, explaining that every book starts off with the full five stars and I'm always hopeful that they will still be firmly stuck in place by the time I finish the book, right?  Well, as you can see, this book review is no different so far.

I'm gonna start reading with an open mind and I'll hopefully start feeling festive by the end of it.

The first couple of pages have been great, but I've found a mistake that should have been picked up in one of the early edits... not enough to knock a star off or anything, but the behaviour chart started at red and orange for naughtiness then went up through silver and gold to green and red again which my eagle-eyed pickiness couldn't help mentioning lol

Chapter 1 was great!  Chapter 2 starts on the same page as chapter 1 finishes, so I'm thinking that's cos I've got such an ancient Kindle lol

Chapter 2 has me in tears... it takes a truly incredible book to get me crying, but after only two chapters is pretty-much unheard of as far as I remember.  Get those tissues and hot chocolate ready when you get this book, 'cos I'm really needing both of those things right now.

That's twice in three chapters that I've been in tears.  I don't think my glass of water will be a suitable beverage by the end of this incredible book... I might have to dig into the choccie biccies instead of a proper lunch too lol

Oh dear.  The author has just used a couple of big brand names that I hope she has written permission to use otherwise it's the first star coming off, which I'm desperate not to happen, but it's happened with other books I've read so it wouldn't be fair not to do it with this book too... I've got a huge sense of fairness in me lol

I've just finished chapter 5 and it's a fantastic book, but my sense of fairness is taking centre stage right now, so the first (and hopefully only) star is very relutantly being removed after using another well-known brand name.  As long as the story continues as fantastically as the first five, it'll be a thoroughly well-deserved four stars at the end of the book.

OMGosh!  Where has the afternoon disappeared to?  I last added to this review at the end of chapter 5 and I'm now about to start chapter 13!  It takes a truly incredible book for me to totally lose track of eight chapters, but that's obviously what's happened with this book this afternoon - I stand firmly by what I said at the start of this review about it being a must-read book for everyone!

I've been totally engrossed in this book all day and I'm already at chapter 18 (aka 62%) and I honestly haven't got a clue where today has gone to so quickly!  I can't recommend this book highly enough to everyone who wants an awesome read to while away a day without realising that they had been so engrossed in the authors words!

I'm 71% of the way through now and it's past my bed time, but I'll be back bright and early in the morning to finish off this review and hope I don't shed too many tears on the last page.  It's been a long time since I felt so good about a Christmas novel but I'm sooo glad I took a chance on it!

Back again this morning and within 3 pages I'm drooling and wanting hot chocolate and all those high-sugar Christmas goodies lol  I started the review in tears and now I'm drooling at the descriptions of the hot chocolate and food... I've just caught myself licking my lips too lol

The last few pages have been unexpected to say the least, but I'm relieved that Nick has done the right thing so far.  Paige had no right to do what she did and I'm glad that Nick can see that now.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

What a perfect ending and I'm on the verge of tears again.  Those four stars are solidly stuck in place and literally the only reason I'm not giving it the full five is 'cos of the use of those big brand names - if the author had used fictitious names or gained written permission from those brands before the book was published then it would have been a very solid 5 stars throughout, but that really is the only reason.  This is a must-read by everyone who wants to feel cosy and snuggly and get ready for Christmas early.

No comments:

Post a Comment