Friday 10 September 2021

Book Review: "The Twelve Wishes of Christmas" by Ruby Basu

Kindle version:
Paperback version:
⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my more recent book reviews, you will already know that every book I review starts off with the full five stars and that I'm always hopeful that the book will end with 'em too.  You will also know that I knock a star off for using a big brand name seemingly without written permission.  I hope this book has used fictitious brands rather than famous ones so that the author doesn't get herself into legal hot water.

I've just started reading this on my Kindle which is the first generation/version that Amazon came out with all those years ago, so maybe it's that, but the first 3 pages have run on from each other instead of being separated into separate pages - the biography ran into the copyright which ran into chapter 1 with only a blank line separating them... not good, but forgiveable 'cos it might be down to the age of my Kindle.

Unfortunately I've had to skip through the first 18% because it's so dull, which unfortunately means the first star comes off so we're already down to 4 stars, which I hope stay in place now.

It hasn't improved, so I've skipped even further forward now, all the way to chapter 10 (34%) and another star is coming off, which takes us down to 3 stars after less than half way.  I'm just glad the publisher approved me for the ARC of this so that I didn't waste money.  I'm trying desperately to enjoy this book, but it's just sooo boring that I've felt the need to skip more than I've read so far.

It's taken 36% of the entire book, but I've found a chapter that I enjoyed and don't feel the need to moan badly about  😉

I'm gonna stop reading until I've had my lunch now... give me an opportunity to forgive the disappointing morning.

Back now and I've forgotten what happened in the book this morning, so I'm gonna start reading it again with an open mind and hoping it'll be better than it seems like it was this morning, judging by this review so far!

Oh boy, I've had to skip forward to chapter 16 because it's waaaay too dull and what with there being such little dialogue between the characters makes it even worse so that's another star coming off which means there's just one more to lose before I give up on this book.

Skipped to chapter 18 now and it hasn't got any better let alone more interesting, so the fourth and final star is coming off and I'm not reading any more of the book.  What a total waste of my day and I'm glad I got it for free, in exchange for this review, from the publisher.


If you've got money to burn and/or time to waste then by all means, get this book, just be prepared for a dull and boring story is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment